Thursday 30 May 2013

CARNISM - a violent ideology

Recently I attended a lecture that Melanie Joy, who is a professor of psychology and sociology at the University of Massachusetts, gave on her new book WHY WE LOVE DOGS, EAT PIGS AND WEAR COWS - An INTRODUCTION to CARNISM. Being a vegan myself, a dog owner and a sociology student especially interested in the field of human-animal studies, I was deeply moved by her (not exactly scientific, instead a more politically influenced) presentation on the matter. 

After reading her book, which I recommend to EVERYONE, I felt like more people should know about the violent ideology that Melanie Joy named carnsim. In this blog I would like to deal with this concept, but also promote veganism, vegetarism and the animal-rights movement. 


For starter I would like to introduce the concept very briefly quoting Melanie Joy. The quote is from an interview she gave in 2010 (full interview here = http://our-compass.org/2010/10/09/my-conversation-with-melanie-joy-on-why-we-love-dogs-eat-pigs-and-wear-cows/ ) : 





"Carnism is a violent ideology that enables humane people to participate in inhumane practices without realizing what they’re doing. The tenets of carnism run counter to the core values of most people; most of us would not willingly support unnecessary violence toward other sentient beings. So carnism, like other violent ideologies, must employ a set of defense mechanisms which operate on both a social and psychological level to ensure the participation of the populace; without popular support, the system would collapse. 
The primary defense of the system is invisibility, and the primary way the system remains invisible is by remaining unnamed: if we don’t name it, we can’t see it, and if we can’t see it we can’t challenge or question it. 
The system also defends itself by teaching us to justify eating animals, by promoting what I refer to as the Three Ns of Justification: eating animals is normal, natural, and necessary. (Not surprisingly, these same arguments have been used to justify other violent ideologies as well.) There are many other carnistic defenses, but all defenses serve the same purpose: to “numb” us, psychologically and emotionally, when it comes to eating (certain) animals. Carnism disconnects us from the truth of our experience, blocking our awareness and shutting down our empathy."



(quoted, Melanie Joy 2010, http://our-compass.org/2010/10/09/my-conversation-with-melanie-joy-on-why-we-love-dogs-eat-pigs-and-wear-cows/ ) 


Reading her book, informing myself further and thinking about this has troubled my sleep and made me rethink many of my habits and choices. I believe carnsim is no better than sexism or racism and it is the responsibility of our generation, my generation, to face and overcome this threat to our moralistic wellbeing. Living by the morals we promote and not denying that we act against them has been an empowering experience for me and many others I have spoken to about this matter. 
If I can only reach out to a single person through writing this blog, it will have served its purpose fully. 

Start questioning! It is past time we do!



No comments:

Post a Comment